Communication Difficulties

Typical difficulties at University might include:

  • Participating in seminars / tutorials / groupwork

Appropriate Reasonable Adjustments might include:

  • Training for staff and students in being an effective communication partner for the student
  • Modifications to assessment protocols

Support and resources available via Access SUMMIT might include:

  • Study Needs Assessment undertaken by assessor experienced in communication difficulties – in conjunction with The ACE Centre North if appropriate
  • Support package including:-
    • Communication aid to assist with spoken communication;
    • Communication facilitator/personal assistant;
    • Training to make sure you make best use of the equipment you have;
    • Ongoing Assistive Technology Support to make sure your equipment continues to give you the support you need throughout your course.

Getting the support you need:

  • Support packages are individually tailored and so the first step in making sure you get what you need will be to contact an adviser at your University’s Disability Support Service; if you are studying at one of The Greater Manchester Universities see the contact details for higher education institutions. More information is also available through the NNAC Wiki.

Funding the support you need:

  • Most UK students will qualify for funding via The Disabled Students Allowances – see this page on for more information about the Disabled Students Allowances.